Beach Holidays, Water Sports, Surfing, Fishing
Snorkeling, SCUBA Diving, Whale Watching.
- Negombo – Close to the international airport, the old fishing town of Negombo with its ancient Dutch Canals is a great place to start or finish your Isle of Smiles Sri Lanka Tour.
- Mt Lavinia – famous for the heritage Mt Lavinia Hotel, Mt Lavinia Beach is the best city beach close to Colombo with excellent restaurants and bars.
- Kalpitiya – Sri Lanka’s latest tourist hot spot. See dolphins in the lagoon, secluded beaches, old fishing villages, historical churches and Dutch Fort.
- Wadduwa – the closest beach resort town to Colombo with many beach resort hotels and long stretches of golden beaches.
South West Coast:
- Bentota – the beach resort town of Bentota is famous for its water sports, river safaris and long beaches.
- Hikkaduwa – Sri Lanka’s first beach resort town is popular for its reef, beach bars and restaurants, surfing, snorkelling and diving.
- Unawatuna – close to Galle, the old fishing village of Unawatuna is a beautiful small bay. It is famous for its Devale Temple, restaurants, bars, snorkeling and diving.
- Talpe – an exclusive beach with Portuguese period styled, architect designed villas for the discerning traveler.
- Tissamahrama – close access to Yala and Bundala National Parks. Wide secluded beaches.
- Tangalle – made popular by European visitors to Sri Lanka in the 1970’s and 80’s, Tangalle has a series of small palm-fringed bays.
- Dickwella – picturesque bays and small beaches with rugged headlands.
- Mirissa – a secluded beach with golden sands and coconut palms and cabana styled accommodation.
- Weligama – famous for Taprobane Island its stilt fishermen.
The East Coast Sri Lanka was mostly closed for travelers for many years but is now a key destination for peace and seclusion. Hotels and attractions are very well established during the past 10 years and the unspoiled beaches and surrounding areas are excellent for travelers to experience the tranquility and culture of Eastern Sri Lanka.
- Nilaveli – the former beach capital of the East Coast close to the port town of Trincomalee. You can relax or take a boat ride to beautiful Pigeon Island famous for its fishing, corals and bird life.
- Pasikudah, Panichankerni and Kalkudah – the former popular beaches for European descendants of Sri Lanka. Many tea companies had bungalows in this area.
- Komari – a virtually deserted stretch of coastline with wide beaches and beautiful headlands.
- Arugam Bay – for many years this fishing town has been a world famous surfing destination.
- Batticaloa: one of the largest towns in the east coast. It has some beautiful beaches as well as a lot of culture and history.
Select your destinations and contact us for details and pricing for a packaged tour with accommodation and transport or an individual destination excursion tour.
All images are property of Isle of Smiles, Sri Lanka.